Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Reflection 1

IN GENERAL
I am expecting to learn to write more eloquently. For instance, even after two revisions, the previous sentence is awkwardly hosting the word "to" twice, in close proximity. I believe that, by writing regularly enough with critical feedback, I will be able to express thoughts with smoothness and clarity.

ON A RELATED TOPIC
I disagree with the idea proposed in class today that a student writer could be at a disadvantage because their work has no room to improve. I think, or, more accurately, I hope, that developing writing skills do not follow a linear path. I want to believe that learning to write will not be like a giraffe, growing taller its whole life to reach the most valuable leaves (that only appear on the very top of trees.) Rather, the process will be an octopus, with its numerous appendages growing outwards in many directions; one leg may sieze a delicious crab, another reaches to investigate a suspicious fissure in the coral. If the reader has lost faith in this analogy, imagine me as a carpenter in a department store. There are many tools, and the more I aquire, the more jobs I can carpent.

ADDITIONALLY
I expect this course to (continue to) be a source of interesting conversation with the entire class. I'm excited to see where the discussions will lead. "Designing for Effective Change" seems to me an ambiguous enough topic to support a wide array of stimulating debates.

1 comment:

  1. Sentence structure matters. Perhaps, "I expect to write better." Learning is implicit. How else can you improve? Truly, though, I was not offended by the two "to's." Eloquence is a different matter. It defies the comparative and is reserved for the apex in thought.

    Paragraphs with rich ideas can emerge from simple sentences. That's where I'd start. Read For Whom The Bell Tolls. Hemingway is an inspiration, both in his stories and his style.

    I'd add an admonition to care about word and phrase choice because you want to be precise in articulating your ideas. Beyond that you'll have to pursue your own regimen or find a coach elsewhere to help you with that (maybe at the Writer's Workshop).

    Your caution about linear thinking with the writing is proper. However, we are not good at multiprocessing, especially with difficult tasks. If the mental image of writing is to be the octopus, focus on a single appendage for a while, then another. And if it is to be the carpenter, develop facility with a tool before moving on.

    Having students do weekly reflections is new for me. We'll learn together what progress is reasonable to expect.

    ReplyDelete